Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Before Abraham was born I am!

Thursday, March 19

Psalm 87
Jeremiah 13:1-11*
Romans 6:1-23


John 8:48-59


The Jews hurled accusations against Jesus -
You are a Samaritan! Demon posessed! Deranged! Blasphemer!

When we really think about it, we have to agree that the things that Jesus claimed concerning himself would have probably received the same type of reaction today. We would think that anyone claiming to be the Son of God, existing from before all time, and the source of eternal life,
was either a heinous liar, or at best, deranged. Unfortunately, many people never pause to actually consider what he said, what he meant, and what that should mean for their lives. The claims of Jesus are met with the shrug of ambivalent blasé shoulders and the obnoxious reply "And??"
However, if we think of the consquences of actually believing what he said about himself, our lives would be changed forever.
Jesus' claims concerning himself should provoke a reaction. The patronizing undertones communicated by people who pat believers on the shoulders and assure us that they think it is great that we have found something that gives us comfort and meaning, should indicate to us that they haven't fully grasped the magnitude of what Jesus actually said and meant concerning himself. Fully grasping the magnitude of what He said must evoke a reaction.
The claims Jesus made should have enormous consequences for those who understand, believe, and receive what he said as truth. This would imply that he is in fact our Lord and God!
The glory that Jesus receives from his Father should be the glory that we ascribe to Him. It is the only logical consequence of our confession of faith in Him as our Savior.
This implies that we keep His word, because it is our actual obedience to the truth that reveals our belief.
Let His claims amaze you! Let them challenge you! Let them transform you! Let them lead you to the true source of Life and truth - Jesus the Son of God!


Pastor Linda


John 8:48-59
48The Jews answered him, "Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?"
49 "I am not possessed by a demon," said Jesus, "but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. 50 I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death."
52 At this the Jews exclaimed, "Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?"
54 Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."
57 "You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"

58" I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

1 comment:

  1. This is well put. As both C. S. Lewis and (I think) Augustine has pointed out, there is no middle road when a man claims to be God. The "nice guy, but not more"-approach is not logically consistent. "If this [the gospel] is not true, it does not matter. But if it is true, nothing else matters."

    ReplyDelete