Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I am the Light of the World


Wednesday, March 18

Psalm 81
Jeremiah 8:18-9:6
Romans 5:1-11


The Feast of Tabernacles was the high point of the Jewish festival calender. It was a feast of rejoicing and was celebrated at the end of the harvest. It was a celebration of the provision, protection and care of God for the people of Israel in their time of wandering in the desert. The celebration was marked by a week long celebration where the Israelites were commanded to gather branches or boughs to wave before the Lord, and to build leafy"booths" in which to dwell for seven days. Meals were to be eaten in these booths, and it was to be a time of rest without any labour.
The Jewish people were required to go to Jerusalem every year for the Feast of Tabernacles (or Sukkot).
On each day of the feast there was a ceremony of water drawing which was related to the celebraton of the harvest, where rain was an important indication of the blessings of God.
The Levitical priest would draw water from the pool of Siloam in a special golden pitcher. He would be joined by a crowd of people who would return with him in joyful procession to the Temple - through the water gate.
As the priest arrived - shofars would sound and he would pour the water on the great altar accompanied by the shouts of celebration and waving of boughs of the people.

The ceremony of the water-drawing held a significance much deeper than the agricultural implications. The water drawing pointed to that day, when according to the prophet Joel, that the Lord would pour out His Spirit on Israel (Joel 2:28). This ceremony took on an even greater meaning when Jesus attended the feast in (John 7:37-39) and proclaimed that He would quench the thirsting of the soul.
At the end of the first day of the feast, the priests and Levites went down to the Court of the Women. Four golden candlesticks were set up in the court with four golden bowls placed on them - and would be lit. The light emanating from the candlesticks was so bright that the Mishna says; "There was no courtyard in Jerusalem that was not lit up with the light" (Sukkah 5:3). The mood was very festive, people would dance well into the night holding torches and singing songs of praise to the Lord. The meaning of the lights was to symbolize the Shkhinah Glory of God that had once filled the Temple. Again this whole ceremony took on a new and greater meaning when Jesus stood in the Temple (John 8:12) and declared that He was the Light of the world, for in Him dwelt all the fullness of the glory of God (Col 1:19). In Jesus we see the fulfillment of the feast of Tabernacles (John 1:14). Jesus is God dwelling (tabernacling) among men. It is interesting to note that the word "dwelt" implies a temporary dwelling - a sukkah booth.


Jesus uses the "I am" statements throughout the gospel of John to indicate that he was the Messiah - the One that was to come, - the One that was sent. Each one of the I AM ‘s represents a particular relationship of Jesus to the spiritual needs of men and women
This is linked to the story of Moses in the desert where God revealed himself to him in the burning bush, and he was commissioned to lead the Jews out of slavery in Egypt into the promised land. When Moses asked who he was to say had sent him, God replied,"I am who I am". (Exodus 3:14)

1. I am the bread of Life which came down from heaven (6:35,41,51)
2. I am the light of the world (8:12; 9:5)
3. I am the door of the sheep (10:7,9)
4. I am the good shepherd (10:11,14)
5. I am the son of God (10:36)
6. I am the resurrection and the life (11:25)
7. I am the way, the truth, and the life (14:6)
8. I am the (true) vine (15:1,5)

God ordained a number of feasts that the Israelites were commanded to celebrate each year. They were celebrations of commemoration - in order to remember and to give thatnks for what God had done and continued to do. They were also prophetic in that they all pointed to their ultimate fulfillment in the One that was yet to come. Jesus arrived as a fullfillment of the promises inherent in the celebration of the Feast. His proclamation of Himself caused an outcry with the Pharisees,, but as we read in 8:30, many put their faith in Him because of His testimony and the testimony of His Father.
He extends the same invitation to us today - to walk with Him in the light of His presence and His truth and grace. If we follow Him we will never agin walk in darkness. He will be with us lighting the way.

Pastor Linda


John 8:12-20*

The Validity of Jesus' Testimony

12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

13 The Pharisees challenged him, "Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid."

14 Jesus answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. 16 But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. 17In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two men is valid. 18 I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me."

19 Then they asked him, "Where is your father?"

"You do not know me or my Father," Jesus replied. "If you knew me, you would know my Father also." 20 He spoke these words while teaching in the temple area near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his time had not yet come.

No comments:

Post a Comment